Thursday 4 February 2016

Why I Keep My Cosplay Plans Secret

Contrary to popular belief, it's not actually because I'm a giant asshole.

I don't like to spread around my cosplay plans for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, and most honestly, it's because I'm scared I won't actually be able to accomplish any of them. Failure haunts me just like anyone else. I'd rather keep my failures small and personal than have to admit to the entire internet that I just suck at something! I (like most cosplayers, I think) have a box full of half-finished cosplays that I gave up on and hid out of sight half way through.

Secondly, I like to surprise people! When I see someone looking AWESOME in a costume that I've never seen before, that WOW moment is something really special. I worry that posting heaps of in-progress shots would ruin the big reveal. That's why I'll sometimes post behind the scenes to instagram but they're always mock-ups in the wrong colour, undergarments or tiny hints. Guessing, to me, is part of the fun!

Lastly, it's because I don't want to disappoint people when I don't follow through. I'd hate to tell the internet that I'm cosplaying as a favourite character and then let them down when I don't actually get around to doing it - and then get bombarded by "when are you cosplaying as ________ ?" comments on everything I post!

So, in solidarity, here are a few photos of graveyard cosplays - ones that almost were.





No comments:

Post a Comment